Last updated: 27 December 2021
Information we collect
The Service collects information from you in two ways: directly from your input and automatically through the Service’s technologies.
The types of personal information that the Service collects directly from you depends on the content and features you use and may include:
- Contact details, such as your first and last name, email address (but not postal address and telephone number);
- Educational, professional, and other background information, such as field of study, current position, practice and your interests;
- Account login credentials, such as usernames and passwords;
- Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number;
- Social network information, such as your social media handles;
- Contributions, such as comments, feedback, posts and other content; and
- Communication preferences, such as e-alerts.
The Service also automatically collects information about your use of the Service, such as:
- Computer, device and connection information, such as IP address, browser type and version, operating system, mobile platform, unique device identifier and other technical identifiers;
- Usage data, such as click stream data, including date and time stamp and referring and exit pages, search terms you used, and pages you visited or searched for on the Service; and
- For location-aware services, the physical location of your device.
How we use your information
And Places Limited is committed to deliver a relevant and useful experience to you. To that end we may use your personal information to:
- Provide access to certain Service features of the web site and its contents, such as articles, podcasts and videos;
- Provide the Service to you, such as allow access or delivery and process or fulfill an order or transaction;
- Offer you customized content and individualized personalization of the Service to make it more relevant to your interests and geography;
- Enhance and improve the Service, such as add new content and features;
- Deliver in-Service advertisements and related promotional campaigns relevant to your interests;
- Provide you with technical, product and other support and help to keep the Service working, safe and secure; and
- Identify, analyze and evaluate usage, including for the purposes of research, audits, reporting and paying royalties and license fees to third-party content providers.
- (If you Subscribe) Notify you about changes or updates and provide you with special offers, promotions, surveys and other information related to the Service;
We may also use your personal information to:
- Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments or concerns;
- Conduct and administer surveys;
- Provide you with relevant special offers, promotions and other information about products, events and services of ours, our affiliates and non-affiliated third parties such as societies and sponsors; and
- Enhance and improve our products, events and services and develop new ones.
We may on occasion also match or combine the personal information that you provide with information that we obtain from other sources or that is already in our records, whether collected online or offline or by predecessor or affiliated group companies, for the purposes described above.
Sharing of your information
We share your personal information with your consent or as necessary to complete a transaction or provide a service that you have requested or authorized. We may share your personal information with our:
- Agents, representatives, joint venturers, and entities for which we are acting as an agent, licensee or publisher, such as societies and sponsors;
- Suppliers and service providers, including editors, reviewers, credit card processors, customer support, email service providers, mailing houses, shipping agents and IT service providers; and
If the Service offers a content database or learning service (“Subscription Service”) and you access the Subscription Service through an institution-sponsored subscription, your personal information and certain usage data gathered through the Subscription Service, such as the number of items you downloaded, any fee-based items you accessed, and test scores, may be shared with your institution for the purposes of usage analysis, subscription management, course management and testing and remediation. If your institution is a corporation or other business entity, additional usage data, such as the types of records you viewed and the number of searches you ran, also may be shared for the purposes of cost attribution and departmental budgeting.
We also may need to disclose your personal information if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or other legal obligation;
- detect, investigate and help prevent security, fraud or technical issues;
- protect the rights, property or safety of And Places Limited, our users, employees or others; and
- if And Places Limited, the Service or a related asset or line of business is acquired by, transferred to or merged with another company.
We may disclose non-personally identifiable information, such as anonymous usage data reports and aggregated information, for any purpose, except where we are restricted by law.
The Service may let you post and share contributions, like personal information, comments, messages, materials and other content. Any such contributions that you disclose publicly may be collected and used by others, may be indexable by search engines, and might not be able to be removed. Please be careful when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
Your choices and communications preferences
You can manage your communications preferences and interests when you register with the Service, by updating your account preferences, by using the “opt-out” or unsubscribe mechanism or other means provided within the communications that you receive from us or by contacting us. We reserve the right to notify you of changes or updates to the Service whenever necessary.
Access to, accuracy and deletion of your information
The Service may allow registered users to access their account information and make corrections or updates upon log in at any time. The accuracy of such information is solely the responsibility of the user.
You may also request access to other personal information about you that may be held in the Service. If you request to deactivate your account or delete your personal information, we will endeavor to fulfill your request but some personal information may persist in backup copies for a certain period of time and may be retained as necessary for legitimate business purposes or to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
And Places Limited takes precautions to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction through the use of appropriate administrative, physical and technical security measures.
Cross-border transfer of your information
Your personal information may be transferred to and stored in servers and facilities located in your region or another country. We take steps to ensure that the information continues to be protected wherever it is located.
The Data Protection Officer
And Places Limited
2310 Dominion Center,
43-58 Queen’s Road East,
Hong Kong SAR